June 27, 2007

Iphone.........



Where do I start?......this phone is incredible. Everything you ever wanted, but limited to a few necessities. Anyone that knows me knows by now that I'm a Apple Fan boy....hate all you want. I have a Mac book Pro as of right now and have been using it since July with no problems whatsoever. I hold a lot of respect for Apple, however I have a few gripes with them as well. Nonetheless, a lot of you have been telling to to pass on version one wait for the second Gen yada yada ya.....guess what.....HELL NO......call me a hypebeast......I don't care. The design is mesmerizing........the functionality is superp. However, MMS isn't supported for all of you non GeekDoom folks that's picture messaging and on the initial release of the Iphone it isn't supported you are required to email your photos to people. I also don't like the fact that 3G capabilities aren't available, but it's only received in 126 cities per AT&T's website so for them to reach the sales goals they are looking to reach this doesn't seem smart as a business move to exclude it to those cities only. Once AT&T continues to improve its network and include 3G in more cities Apple won't release one capable it just doesn't make sense from a numbers standpoint.

Enough of what I think.....here's a look a a few different reviews from various large national media outlets.

The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg has posted his review (click the word review)of the Iphone which you can read and see sheds light on just about everything in regards to the phone.

Some highlights:

- largest, highest resolution screen of any smart phone they've seen, most internal memory

- Impressive battery life and thin

- Feels solid- Regarding the touch keyboard: "After five days of use, Walt -- who did most of the testing for this review -- was able to type on it as quickly and accurately as he could on the Palm Treo he has used for years."

- Can't use T-Mobile SIM cards- Wi-Fi capability doesn't fully make up for the lack of a fast cellular data capability- Multi touch: "effective, practical and fun"

- No way to copy/paste text- Microsoft's Exchange system support- Voice call quality was good, but not great- Can't record video- No Adobe Flash support- Songs can't be set as ring tones

The NY Times review <----click there to read it.......

Some highlights:

- "so sleek and thin, it makes Treos and BlackBerrys look obese."

- After walking around with the iPhone unprotected for 2 weeks, no marks on it. Glass smudges are easily wiped off.- Making calls can be a 6 step process if phone is off.

- Web, Email is superior- Battery Life Test: 5 hours video, 23 hours audio. Note: did not turn off Wi-Fi and other features as Apple suggests.

- Typing was OK. Difficult at first, but learned to "trust" the keyboard. "The BlackBerry won’t be going away anytime soon."

- Cites AT&T network as iPhone's biggest downfall. Cites Consumer Reports survey which ranks AT&T network as last or second to last in 19 out of 20 major US cities.

You have to make the decision for yourself, but I know I'll have one in my hands in two days for better or worse, hopefully better.

Now......

For all you saying...."Chris you already have a Treo why the Iphone it's $600"

You know....math isn't my strongest point, but lets take a look at the cost of my Treo vs the cost of the Iphone shall we?

OK, I purchased my Treo 700W on release date for the price of about $425 after taxes with a new number with Verizon. I pay right around $150 a month and that plan includes:

1350 anytime minutes

Free mobile to Mobile

Unlimited Text M2M

2500 text to additional carriers

Phone insurance

Unlimited Data Package

Total_______________

$150.00 Give or take a few cents.

OK, so a year that's running me around 1,900 dollars not including accessories, SD Cards ETC.

that's just the service.

Let me layout the Iphone plans....


$59.99/mo for 450 voice minutes
$79.99/mo for 900 voice minutes
$99.99/mo for 1,350 voice minutes

Me personally I'll be going for 900 minutes. Verizon didn't offer a in between when I went from 450 I was told the next up was 1350 minutes. Cingular/AT&T offers rollover which allows you to build up minutes further helping you from exceeding your limit.

So lets take that 79.99 plan along with another 20$ a month tacked on for unlimited text and I'm looking at around $1200 a year. That adds up a lot better to me. That $79.99 plan also includes unlimited data. That was a no brain er.

My only problem is that Cingular/ AT&T doesn't offer insurance through it's carrier Asurian(sp) on its smart phones Apple does provide a initial warranty though it's not stated how long this last nor what it includes. So it looks like it's up to me to find insurance depending on the length and terms of the warranty.

So, June 29Th I'll be shinning with the Iphone...I know I know.....but whatever.....I know it's Pros's and I know its Con's....I'll cop the next Gen and each one after that. If you can't find the info your looking for here check out this site.

http://www.macrumors.com/

It's good to know that I'm getting some traffic here on the Blog....with due time it will continue to get better with more info/news/post regarding yours truly. Look out for that weekly pickup post coming next week. I'll show you how I do......

But....for NOW.....I'm somewhere in VA.......simply.....

-Living Fresh


No comments: